Thursday, January 22, 2009

Getting Started

Ever since I can remember, I have dreamed of making and selling some kind of horse-related or western-style jewelry. Throughout the years I experimented with barbed wire, leather, even the string from feed bags but nothing turned out quite the way I imagined until a few years ago when "bling" became popular among barrel racers. A friend introduced me to Swarovski rhinestones and a new obsession was born. I decorated every inch of my tack and began to make spur rowel necklaces to match all my show outfits. The first rodeo where I wore all my new gear brought my first customers (some of whom are still regulars--I love you guys!) and I have been expanding since then.
Streak and I at a rodeo in 2007.

Over the past few years I have experimented with every type of material imaginable, until I found the right glue, wire, clasps, leather, etc. to make the most durable, flashy, wearable tack and jewelry that I possibly can. Every new item is tested by myself and my loyal helper Foo (whose horse, Larry, is the ultimate tack tester--he is so strong that if something is going to break, it will do it while he is wearing it!)
Foo and Larry; Streak and I waiting to run last summer.

And so DiscoTack was born and hopefully will continue to expand for a long time. Along with western style jewelry, I have recently completed several pieces inspired by Harley Davidson, the Pittsburgh Steelers, and am working on a line inspired by wildlife and the woods.

2 comments:

  1. I love how you have established the bling on the tack! That is great! Love the jewelry and pics of horses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your jewelry is fantastic. Beautiful. Awesome. I love the spur rowel necklaces!!!

    ReplyDelete